Thanks for signing up for CaseFox (Legal Time and Billing Software for Lawyers). This post will describe how to enter time and generate invoices.
1. By now, you should have added at least one client, one case associated with the is client and at least one staff user (the first one is created automatically). The process of doing all these above task is self-explanatory after logging in to CaseFox.
2. Select a case and on the right hand side pane, click on the “Add Note” link.
3. Select the staff user on the top of the “Add Note” screen. (Create a few blank notes - add “for later use” in the note text - to enter general notes about the case as and when a need arises so that the case informational notes remain on the top of the list. Uncheck the “billable” check box to prevent these notes from going into invoices. Later on, edit one of these notes to enter case-specific general information. ). Select date/time and enter hour/min. The amount will be automatically calculated based on the hourly rates of the selected user. Alternatively, you can also enter an amount in the amount box (if you are entering an expense - same process as entering time - you will need to enter the amount in the amount box instead of entering hour/min.
4. Check “Billable” if this note needs to be included in an invoice.
5. Check “Expense” if this is an expense.
6. Enter a note text. The text in this box will be used as a line item text in an invoice (to be created later).
7. Optionally, you may enter a private note in the private note box. This text is for your eyes only. This text would help you recollect case events later on.
8. You may also enter a document URL or local drive file path.
9. If this client requires invoices in LEDES format (rare), enter UTBMS task and activity codes.
10. Save. The note should be listed in the list below.
11. After entering one or more notes, you may generate an invoice.
12. To generate an invoice, click on the invoice tab either when the client or the case is selected in the left-hand sidebar.
13. Click on the “Create Invoice” link. Prior to generating invoices, you may click on the Settings tab in the upper right corner (after logging into CaseFox) and use the upload logo link to upload your firm’s logo.
14. A pop-up will come up. Click on the add Notes to Invoice link. Another pop-up will come up. Select one or more notes (or select all) to be included in the invoice.
15. You may enter public and private notes.
16. Click “Generate” at the right-hand bottom of the pop-up to generate the invoice.
17. The newly generated invoice will be displayed in the Invoice tab. You may view, email, or download PDF using the icons displayed against the invoice. An invoice may be deleted (see a delete icon on the very right in the line) and re-generated using the same steps (as listed above). However, once payment is recorded against an invoice, the invoice cannot be deleted. Therefore, after generating an invoice, please download the pdf and check if everything is ok with the invoice, before sending the invoice to the client and recording a payment.
18. The Email Invoice icon will change after the invoice is emailed to the client.
19. Use the payment icon (in front of the invoice in the list) to record payments from the client. Multiple partial payments may be recorded.
Please feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org should you have questions or need further help.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article