1. Select the staff user on the top of the “Add Note” screen. Select date/time and enter hour/min or tenth of hours (in final PDF or LEDES invoices, hour/min will be converted into fractional hours (e.g., 1h 15m will be shown as 1.25h). PLEASE BE SURE TO ENTER MINUTES AS A MULTIPLE OF 3. The amount will be automatically calculated based on the hourly rates of the selected user. Alternatively, you can also enter an amount in the amount box (if you are entering an expense - the same process as entering time - you will need to enter the amount in the amount box instead of entering hours/minutes).
2. Check "Show On Invoice" if this note needs to be included in an invoice.
3. Check “This is an Expense” if this is an expense (such as a court filing fee). For billable expense, check both "Show On Invoice" and "This is an Expense" checkboxes. Please do not enter expenses such as rent, membership dues, etc. that are not related to a client's case. You can enter those expenses separately by clicking on the "Ledger" tab. Please scroll down to the bottom of this page for more information.
4. Enter service performed (1000 characters max. - but keep it short because this text will be printed on the invoice... please also be mindful of writing privileged and confidential information). The text in this box will be used as a line item in an invoice. See Also Using Abbreviations
5. Optionally, you may enter a private note (1000 characters max) in the private note box. This text is for your eyes only and will not be printed on the invoice.
6. You may also enter a document URL or local drive file path. This URL will not be printed on the invoice. Alternatively, you may click on the Documents tab to upload case-related documents to your Dropbox or Google Drive. Please visit Storing Additional Case Information including custom fields. for more details.
7. If this client requires invoices in the LEDES format, enter UTBMS task code and activity code/expense code (or select from the dropdowns). See also LEDES Invoice.
8. Save. The note will appear to be listed in the note listing below. This note can be edited at any time, even after generating an invoice. See How to Edit Invoice. See also Entering Discounts.
Please visit Getting Started With CaseFox for further details.
1. When entering expenses, make sure to also check [ ] Show On Invoice check box if you intend the entered expense to be included in an invoice. If you don't check the Billable check box, the note will not be presented for invoicing.
2. Click on the "Cases" tab, select a case in the left panel bar. Then scroll down to the bottom on the right side note listing. If you see an amount in the "Non-Billable" category, you should review your time/expense entries. You may have not checked [ ] Show on the Invoice check box in one or more notes. Of course, it is ok if you intentionally unchecked the "Show on Invoice" check box.
3. For entering expenses, Select [ ] This is an Expense check box and notice a slightly changed screen.
4. If you have already created an invoice, you can delete it, edit the note(s) and then generate the invoice again.
1. To enter an hourly billing item, enter the time (either hours/minutes or tenth hours format) in the provided boxes. The system will automatically calculate the amount based on your hourly rates. (by the way, you can set different hourly rates for different cases. Click on the "Staff Access/Rates" tab, select a user, an "Edit" link will appear next to the hourly fee amount. If you don't set a different hourly rate for a user, the user's global hourly rates will be used automatically.
2. To enter a flat fee item, simply enter the amount in the "Total Cost" box and don't enter anything in the "time" boxes. (this item will be displayed as a "Flat" fee item on the invoice. Do not check the "This is an Expense" check box.
3. To enter an expense, click on the "This is an Expense" check box (and leave "Show on Invoice" checked). Enter the number of units in the box shown and then enter the total cost in the "Total Cost" box. For example, if you want to enter charges for 10 copies @ .20c/copy, enter "10" in the "Qty" box and then enter "2" in the total cost box. This item will be shown as an expense in the invoice.
4. To enter a no charge entry, enter the time and then change the value in the Total Cost box to zero. PDF/Word invoice will reflect hours and normal billable rate for this line item and the cost as "No Charge".
5. Custom rates for time entries are available on Add Note screen. To enter an item at a different billable rate, normally when a time is entered, the system automatically calculates total charges for the item based on staff's hourly rates for the case (and if a different hourly rate is not set for the case, staff's global hourly rates), this default rate is displayed in Hourly Rate box on Add Note screen. Invoice reflects entered time and hourly rates in addition to the automatically calculated total cost for the item. Sometimes professionals charge different rates for certain items. For example, an attorney may charge an hourly rate of $200/hr for legal work but $100/hr for travel time. In this example, the Hourly Rate box will show 200 by default. However, this amount may be changed to 100 to create this time entry @100/hr. The invoice will reflex this entry being a 100/hr entry.
About The Timer In Add Note Screen
Browser-based Desktop Timer is available.
CaseFox® offers custom abbreviations that can be used to speed up entering time and expense. For example, a user can enter an abbreviation "TCWC = Telephone conversation with client" by going to "Settings/Reports" -> "Abbreviations" and then in a new time entry, can type "TCWC. Explained the process" in "Service Performed" box. When the "Save" button is clicked, the system will automatically replace "TCTW" with its description. This feature is not available in the "Edit Note" functionality.
Leftover Previous Invoice Balances
If you recently switched from another billing program to CaseFox and if some of the matters for which invoices were created in the previous billing system have leftover unpaid balances, add a corresponding case in CaseFox. Then add a time or expense entry at the beginning of the case, enter 0 in the Tenth Hour box, enter the unpaid balance in the Total Cost box, and enter "Unpaid balance from previous invoices(s)" in the service performed box. Add more time/expense entries as usual. When an invoice is created, the invoice will include the previous due amount.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article